Friday, February 20, 2009

Bloggers Block Released

I have had "bloggers block" for a few years now. Friends started blogging; I saw blogging books; famous people's blogs were popping up in magazines and I had that 'ole familiar feeling of peer pressure that often accompanies any new trend I see taking over pop culture. You see, by nature, I am not into the latest technological advancements. My computer is over four years old; I only have a Blackberry b/c my work issued me one. I hate kitchen gadgets like electric can openers and bread makers. If something with a battery or a plug breaks in my house, it most likely gets thrown in the trash. The only reason we fixed our garage door opener last week is that our car was stuck inside.

I considered blogging an advancement only for the techies who wear bluetooths and use laptops on airplanes. Then came my use of online bill pay. Debit cards over cash. Texting. A Blackberry. My Space. Facebook. Oh, the pressure to blog-

A web cam now accompanies all of our conversations overseas with my Australian in laws. I have Facebook on my handheld mobile device and this week I learned how to use Twitter. You've heard of the law of diminishing returns? What's happening to me is the opposite - the more I understand and use these tools, the more productive I seem to become.

I can network with hundreds of friends by sending one text message. I now live out a sanguine's dream by spending my days with all kinds of acquaintances. I am never alone! We are bonded by cyberspace and the day-to-day commonalities shared by the human race!

I can honestly say my motive for starting this blog is one of selfish ambition... I am now 32 yrs old and I refuse to be outdated and "left behind." If I want to communicate with my own children in a few years, I think it will have to be in codes and cyperspeak. I want to be their friend!

Let the blogging begin...

3 comments:

  1. That's nice that you want to be their friend :) What are you going to do when you have 3 kids? You're going to have to change your blog name.

    I'm glad you're blogging. Yet another way to stay connected.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...that was me.

    Bye. (But Blake does love you too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog!!! Just hooked up with twitter myself this weekend. I would love to blog but not sure that writing is my thing. But...YOU DID GREAT!

    Sharon V.

    ReplyDelete