Saturday, February 21, 2009

Go Tigers

Apparently, CPYL baseball is serious. I mean really serious. We signed Brett up for Spring baseball hoping he will gain some skills and have a great time. Little did we know the world we have entered is full of mystery and suspicion.

I find myself one week into this thing thinking about the movie The Firm and wondering if like Mitch's law firm, the CPYL is really a front for a complex and sinister web of organized crime. Will we come out of this alive? My first clue came when I found out all but three players on the Tiger team were "protected."

Brett had tryouts exactly one week ago and the draft was the following day. We received a phone call from Tony Franco (aka, The Boss) late that night to welcome us to the Tigers. He has been coaching for approximately 8 years; he only had three spots available. The Don wanted to congratulate Brett for making his team. When you're in the mob, you have certain privileges. Practice on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday in order to get ready for the scrimmage on Sunday. Initiation week began.

Greg took Brett to the first practice only to find a dugout lined with matching bags (names embroidered on each one), and a camaraderie among the players and parents that quietly warned us not to double-cross this family.

We are on the outside looking in and I'm scared! As Franco gathered the team and talked about hitting, I couldn't help but wonder just what type of "hits" he was encouraging. I just hope Brett doesn't get caught "stealing" or he may find himself in a "pickle."

If you are interested in keeping up with Tiger baseball this Spring (or watching out for us), please visit http://www.tiger-baseball.com/ . I'll be watching baseball and my back.

1 comment: