Monday, May 4, 2009

Purpose

Last night, Pastor Joe preached an amazing service and I decided 1 Peter 4 is one of my new favorite passages of scripture. Verse 2 says once you follow Christ, "You won’t spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God." We have been in a series called "One Month to Live" and PJ brought up a great question... if you knew that you had one month to live, would you spend that month chasing your desires or would you try to do everything you could to please God and win others to Christ? I honestly had to think for a minute about that one.

Even though I would say I spend my days seeking to follow the will of God for my life (after all, I AM in the ministry!), I have always thought if I knew I had little time left here on Earth, I would take big trips, spend lots of money, splurge on anything and everything... sort of "live it up" if you will. It has honestly never crossed my mind to spend each day racing to share the Good News of Christ with as many people as I can. To be "ANXIOUS" to do the will of God.

The will of God for all of us is that we spread the news of His son Jesus and help others come to heaven with us! I can honestly say I live my life like I have all the time in the world to do this. Oh, I get excited to invite people to my awesome church. I willingly share my story with those who might ask. I reach out to those in need around me and I always talk about what God has done in my life. But, I would not say that I am anxious to do this...

What would our church look like if we all got a little more serious and urgent about doing the will of God? I know I am challenged today.

No comments:

Post a Comment